Thursday, February 1, 2007

How We Started


Since I'm so late in the game creating this blog for Zion and his homeschooling adventures, we are going to work our way up to 2007 from 2004. I actually began homeschooling in 2003 but I didn't start taking digital shots until 2004 and what's a blog without photos! Anyway, around that time I began my hunt for preschools. My husband thought the whole idea was silly because "you're a stay-at-home mom and you're smart, you teach him." Sometimes simple wisdom is the most profound. But hey, I'm thinking "I could use a couple of hours to myself." We tried a few programs but none worked because Zion was a LION from the beginning. He was assertive and sure of himself and that doesn't always work in environments where meek and mild mannered is preferred. My husband was always vocal about not wanting Zion in an environment where he was the only AA boy. Okay, so that just about cancelled out all of the programs that I had my eye on. To make a long story short, after doing the "open house" circuit it was concluded that I would be teaching preschool at home because at my husband so succintly put it "I'm not paying somebody to do what you can do." After preschool, I started the "open house" circuit again for public, charter and private schools. The end result....well that journey is chronicled in an article I wrote for NiaOnline. Check out the link below.


1 comment:

Kendra Fletcher said...

Monica- Your husband is a wise man! You go, girl!

-Kendra, who is often thought to be AA because of my name but is about as white as they come. Makes for a good laugh when I surprise people, though :D