Saturday, February 3, 2007

Zion turns 7


Today my son celebrated his 7th birthday. Finances forced us to have a small sleepover birthday party of his closest friends. I am thankful for that. I asked his friends to give Zion advice on things he would need to know and do now that he was 7 and they said things like, "don't be selfish," "listen to your mother the first time," and "look out for yourself and be responsible." Profound wisdom coming from young African American and Puerto Rican boys ages 7-10. It also got me to thinking about what Eric and I need to be doing differently as he moves toward the path of young manhood. I know it was not an accident that I attended a workshop analysis by Dr. Tony Browder on the documentary, The Secret. It helped me understand the importance of instilling in my son the ability to critically analyze from an African perspective. It's time and he's ready. I've already started reading The Warrior Method by Dr. Raymond Windbush to prepare me for this journey.

No comments: